Sunday, November 23, 2008

Trail Riding!

Finally hunting season has ceased!

Had the horses eat in the front yard then went out and grabbed Dixie! I had her 'help' mom with the Christmas lights...and sniff all that! Then did some sideways towards on her 'off/bad' side! Now...both sides are about equal! YAY! Did some more practice with tying and then groomed her all up! Then we sniffed around the trailer and I had her load. She walked right in the first time I asked..and I backed her out by her tail. She wasn't nervous at all..and found the edge and stepped down fluidly!

Then we went down to the roundpen. Cocoa came cantering from the front yard to the back to be by us! I did the Catching Game with Dixie again...and she figured it out so quickly!! Did some backing by the hocks, leading by the lip, and then standing with all four feet on the tractor tire!

Finally I went and got Cocoa so we could get ready for our ride. Groomed and played with her. I haven't practiced with trailer loading with her in a while and she was a little nervous last time so we did some of that. She stepped up with two feet and then the next time she loaded right up! :)

I went out with Liz and one of Michelle's friends. It was a nice day but pretty chilly out by the time we got back I felt like an icicle! So we all headed out and stuck to the road for a ways then finally went got to the trails. Did a little trotting and cantering. Cocoa wasn't feeling to peppy. I noticed before we went out she had a chip in her hoof so I filed that right aways but I also noticed she seemed to be walking a little funny in front but didn't seem to be bothering her at all. So we took it pretty slow and easy. We stumbled upon a couple new trails they made since they have been logging....and they made a track all around this clearing! So...it's like a private race track! Cocoa is going to be in such good shape..I can't wait to canter around it! Liz and I thought that it has to be atleast a mile in distance. Oh yah...and we saw a whole like flock of TURKEY's out there when we were riding!! Right before Thanksgiving.

Made it back and I had to head straight over to Anna's for Amanda's 17th B-day party!

No comments: