Sunday, December 21, 2008

Playing with the Ponies in the Snow

I bundled up and went out and spent some quality time with the horses! They were very happy for some company...sometimes they see a little too much of each other I think. They seemed to be at their wits ends today with each other. I first attempted to chip all the frozen ice/snow out of their hooves then proceeded to spray them with PAM to stop the build up. We'll see how long that lasts! Then I asked Cocoa to step all four feet up on the tractor tire which she did...and then I stepped up there with her! After spending some good ole' undemanding time with them I opened the small pasture gait and we ventured out into the freezing cold white winter wonderland. The two munchkins followed me all over the front pasture and I finally laid down and attempted to make a snow angel while they were supposed to be pawing for grass. Well Dixers came over to investigate. That's my curious LB bugger! So she sniffed me and then finally was frusterated when I didn't move so she was going to start to paw me. That got me to to sit up awfully quick. :) Then she just tried to take me hat off and scratch on me. She went back to pawing the snow so I thought she was fed up with me and was going to eat some more grass but boy did she surprise me when she decided to LAY DOWN right beside me!!! Then I had to scoot out of the way cause she had major plans to roll all over that place. She tried to get over a couple times but she just couldn't get all the way with the blankie on...it was pretty funny to watch. So she had to get back up and go down again to get the other side. Haha.
Meanwhile Cocoa decided a roll sounded great too..so she went down too! She didn't have a blanket on and easily cleared both sides! Dixie got up and was going over to bug her so I tried to distract her from irritating Cocoa by giving her a good scratch and boy oh boy did it work. Apparently her neck was very itchy! We ambled around the pasture some more..I sat down again and again to my surprise SO DID Dixie!! Then we all three ran the pasture, fixed the fence, and shook snow off the trees to keep them from leaning their branches on the fence.
I think the running through the trees they've been doing..was the source of the hole in Cocoa's blanket that Dixie was wearing...grrr...
I finally opened the lower pasture gate and they went barreling out there cause their is a much better chance they will find edible stuff out there and they know it! I laid out there with them for a while till my toes froze and then headed back inside.

It wasn't an incredibly productive day but we still had fun. Hopefully it will finally warm up and get us out of this major cold spell....It only got to like 5 degrees tops today. BRRR...

Savvy Out,
Olivia, Cocoa, and Dixie

No comments: