Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Cantering Dixie on the backroad

I spent the morning hanging out with the horses and running around like a goon in the pasture. Finally we were all pooped and the horses had a good roll and laid down to doze in the afternoon warmth. Dixie is hilarious!! I will be standing there and she will just lay down right beside me and then start rolling. I am the one who has to move so she doesn't roll me over. She is definitely not nervous or cautious laying down by me. She has done this numerous times. She will also follow me around and lay down...I will eventually walk somewhere else and she will follow and lay down again by me. :)


So after they got down with their rest I grabbed Dixie's halter from the barn. When I walked out Cocoa immediately saw the halter and whinnied at me. I felt SO bad...it made me want to change my plans and Pick her, but it was Dixie's turn to go out and I had already taken Cocoa out for a walk. So I chose Dixie. Cocoa was not pleased. Dixie and I roamed around the yard then just walked on the road. Cocoa was running back and forth and our fence has been down lately so I was worried she was going to break something or hurt herself so we turned around and went in the pasture by the fence. I played with Dixie a bit and then decided to take her for a walk on the backroad. We walked till we got to the parking spot in the DNR then I stood on one of the stumps and hopped on Dixie. She immediately did lateral flexion and then we were off. At first she decided she wanted to go back home but I was persistant and wanted to go a little farther. When she broke into a trot I was a little taken aback..but pleased. Then I remembered I was wearing slippery snow pants and riding Dixie with her slippery stable blanket on...wonder how that will mix? But it wasn't that slippery or hard to stay on at all. Not compared to in the summer when I wear my waders and try and ride a sopping wet Cocoa at the canter!

We went down the road and trotted up the big hill to the old farm. I asked her for a bit of sideways just to see if she could figure it out..and sure enough she starts sidepassing. What a smart cookie. Then we continue down the road at a trot....I ask her for a faster trot and she complies.....then breaks into a CANTER! I am sitting there on her back shocked..she offered it and didn't even through in a buck or crow hop. WOW! She continues cantering without a falter for about 15 strides till we reach the end of the straight away and I ask her to slow down into a trot....which she does! We take a side trail and canter up the hill to that and then head back.. On the way home I ask for a canter and she canters. Controlled canter...on the way home and stops right when I ask her. We haven't done much riding and hardly any of it has been in an enclosed area...I can't believe how much she is offering and complying with everything I ask. I love Dixie's canter already! It is SO different than Cocoa's. Where Cocoa usually can't do a collected slow canter because of her back...Dixie's canter is fluid, slow, and has so much up momentum. It's like a powerful bunny hop!

I hopped off after our little canter down the stretch and gave her a treat and then walked with her the rest of the way home. Well we didn't really walk. I ran and she cantered beside me. Man do I have to run fast to keep up with her when she wants to race.

Savvy Out,
Olivia, Cocoa, and Dixie

No comments: