Sunday, January 18, 2009

Dixie's First Canter - Riding!

First off...Dixie decided she wanted to play around first. It was snowing a bit earlier and Cocoa managed to get her back wet (?) and Dixie was dry...Hmmm. So I let Dixie in the barn to roam and just munch on the hay in the back while I put a cooler on Cocoa so she'd be dry by the time Dixie and I got back. So Cocoa got some hay and I took Dixie out for a stroll. We played in the snowbanks and she walked right into my neighbors snow hill from their driveway that is like up past her chest. Silly girl. She strode in there and then spun around and out. I had her go dashing through the ditches that were up past her knees and then jump some of the other snow banks! haha Her jumps were so priceless, she usually gauged them wrong. Oh..Dixie! Then we continued on our way on the DNR backroad all the while keeping watch out for snowmobilers. Quite a few of them passed us today...luckily Dixie has no problem with that at all. I did some Yo-Yo on the road and Sideways with her. She did really good! Then I was working with her high energy and even got her to wheel around and 'cut' me a bit...and when I ran back on the 12 ft. line come cantering towards me. She was wheeling and dealing..and had so much energy since the cold snap we had..and they couldn't do much more than eat to stay warm!

Then we did some trotting and walking and stopping transitions. She was mirroring me beautifully and would stop on a dime. She was trotting and I was running beside and skidded to a stop and she literally put on the brakes and slid to a stop and stopped right beside me. She was definitely on her toes and paying attention! :)

Farther down the road I had her CANTERING right beside me! We did that for aways till I couldn't do it anymore with all my snow gear and big boots. haha She was so cute and pretty to watch, running beside me. We stopped in the ditches and I let her eat the seeds off the tall grass..only part that was left since the snow is so deep! I asked her to do some circling and she had a snotty LB 'no' for an answer when I asked her to go left. Went cantering around on the 12 ft. and kicked out. A few minutes later she came out of her RB moment and licked and chewed. I presumed to ask her again and she went with no problem. I love it when she's spunky...she's so fun to play with when she's sassy and has attitude. lol Most people don't really like that...but I guess since Cocoa never really gets like that anymore I really enjoy playing with Dixie when she does.

We got to one of the parking spots and I had her come sideways and I hopped on. We did lateral flexion and then walked on down the trail..She really wanted to trot down the hill...but this horse has hardy any withers, big butt, still growing, lots of butt momentum, and not even half as much mane as Cocoa, so I decided I didn't want to slide off the front of her so I asked her to walk. I still can't believe how good my baby is coming along. She hardly resists, and listens to everything I ask her, and we haven't even done much riding because she's young but she acts like she's a natural! :) We did some trotting UP the other hills..that pleased her. Then started heading back home. We trotted for about 300 yards! :) Loose rein, slow trot, Dixie totally at ease, down the road. After that we took the trail by my neighbors that had like 2 ft. of snow that nobody had gone through yet! haha...so...guess what we did?!? I asked Dixie to start trotting and of course she did....and then she CANTERED!!! She cantered while I was riding her bareback through the snow, first time ever! I felt it coming but I was still shocked...then I was expecting her to stop after one stride but she kept going. Dixie must have cantered about 7 strides or so...this is the first time I've ever cantered her...and we did it out in the open and on a loose rein. No bucks, resistance, nothing. I love her! Then she I asked her to slow and she slowed right away and I hopped off to Congratulate her! I walked the rest of the way home. :) We stopped and said hi to Michelle's horses from the road, they even stopped eating from their new road bale to look over the fence and nicker at Dixie.


Savvy Out,
Olivia, Cocoa, and Dixie

1 comment:

Lucy said...

That's so awesome!! Well done, Olivia! :)